If you think salads are for sissies, listen up. This salad will blow your mind, fill your gut, and please your taste buds. It's loaded with flavor, packed with protein, full of fiber, and stocked with the right kind of fats.
Take a look. It rocks.
1 c. - walnuts
1 T. - tamari
1 t. - olive oil
1 t. - cumin
1/2 t. - chili powder
1/2 head - cabbage, cut into shreds
1 bunch - romaine lettuce, chopped
1 c. - black beans
2 - corn on the cob; corn removed
1 - tomato, diced
1 - avocado, cut into chunks
1 - red onion, sliced
shredded cheese, optional
cilantro lime dressing
2 T. - cilantro, finely chopped
3 T. - red wine vinegar
2 T. - grape seed oil
1 t. - lime zest
1 t. - lime juice
1 - garlic clove, minced
- In a food processor, pulse together the walnuts, tamari, olive oil, cumin, and chili powder. Just a few pulses; should be a chunky mixture.
- Layer ingredients on a platter as follows: shredded cabbage, chopped romaine, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, avocado chunks, red onion slices, walnut mixture, and cheese if desired.
- Place dressing ingredients in a jar, shake to combine.
- Drizzle with dressing and chow.
- We can keep the stove off.
- It only takes 5 minutes to pulse them together in the food processor.
- It's a nice change of pace. C'mon, I know your tired of ground meat.
- They are loaded with antioxidants, vitamin E, and omega-3 fatty acids (can't get that from ground meat).
- They are super duper heart healthy.
- Shaped like a brain and good for your brain; walnuts help with memory and general thought process.
Tip: omega 3 fatty acids spoil easily, so keep your walnuts (and flax seed) in the fridge.
Go on, give it a try. Your body, mind, and taste buds will thank you for it!