It's still winter. I'm so over it. You too? This bright soup might help - it sure helped me. Creamy and warm to soothe our cold bones, yet bright and refreshing; promising of coming spring.
Did you know March is the most rapidly warming month of the year? Bring it.
What are you looking forward to most about the coming warm weather?
I'm looking forward to wearing less clothes! While I enjoy bundling up and heading outside, I long for the simplicity of summer; running out the door as is, no coat, no boots, no hat, scarf, or mittens. Simple. Also, did you know that some types of clothing can actually make you sick? Loose, and less, is more.
So while you weed out your wardrobe and dream of warm weather, bring a little sunshine to your bones with this Creamy Carrot, Sunshine Soup.
2 T. - grapeseed oil
1 - onion, minced
1 clove, garlic, minced
1 t. - thyme
8- 10 c. - carrots, sliced
4 c. - water + 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (we use Rapunzel brand, but regular vegetable broth will work too)
1/2 t. - turmeric
1 c. - northern or cannellini beans
sea salt and black pepper
1 - lemon, cut into wedges
crusty whole grain bread or pita pocket wedges
4-6 c. - leafy greens of choice (kale, chard, etc.)
2 T. - olive oil
1/2 - lemon, juiced
- In a large soup pot, heat 2 T. grapeseed oil over medium heat. Sauté onion 5 minutes. Add a pinch of sea salt. Then add garlic, thyme, and carrots; 2 minutes.
- Add water, bouillon cubes, and turmeric; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Transfer soup and beans to a food processor, process until smooth. Season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Combine leafy greens and dressing in a bowl.
- Serve soup in individual bowls with a wedge of lemon, a hunk of bread, and a side green salad.