Do you ever crave salads? I enjoy eating them, but I can't say I ever crave them... until last week that is. I made a salad that was so good, I couldn't stop thinking about it the next day, and had to make it again.
What made it so good?
These 5 things:
- You need something warm and soft - like french fries! Roast some of the veggies you plan to add to your salad - like potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, or sweet potato. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with sea salt and black pepper, roast until soft. This adds a punch of flavor, and the warm veggies softens the entire bowl. I personally love adding roasted potatoes, it's like having french fries on your salad.
- You need something creamy. Think soft chunks of avocado. It is always a good idea to add avocado to your bowl.
- You need something filling. Lentils, quinoa, millet, or even rice. This adds another warm element, and also makes it feel like more than just a salad.
- You need a kick. I go a little crazy with the black pepper, and/or I add a little cayenne to the dressing. This adds an element that you wouldn't normally expect in a salad, and it warms and energizes the bod.
- You need a complimentary, but not overpowering dressing. My favorite is a mustard vinaigrette. It's light, yet full, and doesn't overpower the wonderful flavors in the bowl.
Oh and one last thing, you need to stop calling it a salad. "Salad" makes me yawn and crave a juicy burger. But a Warm and Juicy Vegeta-Bowl, topped with "french fries"? Yea, that's more like it.
What do you think? Want to try it out? Here's the actual recipe I made, and I wish I was eating itright now.
Warm and Juicy Vegeta-bowl
3 - golden beets
2 - potatoes
1 bunch - asparagus
2 T. - olive oil
1 t. - sea salt
1/2 t. - black pepper
1/2 c. - lentils
6 c. - leafy greens
3 - radishes
1 - avocado
1/2 c. - olive oil
1/4 c. - fresh lemon juice
2 t. - dijon mustard
1 t. - dried thyme
2 - garlic cloves, minced
1 t. - sea salt
pinch - black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Wash and chop beets, potatoes, (keep skins on if organic) and asparagus. Place on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper. Roast in oven for 20 - 30 minutes, until tender.
- Rinse lentils, and place in a pot with 2 c. water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes.
- Place leafy greens in a large bowl with chopped radishes, diced avocado, roasted veggies, cooked lentils, and feta cheese.
- Place dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine. Drizzle as much as you'd like on the salad and toss to combine.