Molasses is the star of this recipe and as many of you know a thick, dark brown syrup that is a by product of refined sugar production. Where as the super refined and processed white sugar heads to our shelves, the molasses, which is super nutrient dense, is often times forgotten about completely.
While there are various grades of molasses, blackstrap is by far the most nutritious. Blackstrap is rich in iron, magnesium, copper, calcium, potassium and vitamin B6. Just two tablespoons of blackstrap molasses has 13% of the daily recommended intake (DRI) of iron. The high iron content is extremely helpful for those who are anemic or pregnant as a natural way to get iron into your body.
Here is a tasty way to consume molasses without the traditional cookie aspect attached to it. Remember making your own nut milk it really easy, but if you're busy don't stress too much if you have to buy some. Stay healthy, stay happy and stay warm.
- 1 c. nut milk (I used almond that I flavor with a pinch of maple syrup and vanilla)
- 1 pinch ginger powder
- 1 pinch cloves
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tbs. blackstrap molasses
- 1 scoop ALOHA vanilla protein (optional)
- 1 drop Thieves essential oil (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth and dreamy.
- Garnish with a dollop of coconut milk and a pinch of cinnamon