Everything is better with sprinkles.. but if you don't want to indulge every day of the week and you are looking for some healthy summer treat alternatives then try a few of these frozen summer snacks, so tasty even your kids will enjoy.
Guilt-free, easy to assemble and irresistibly tasty, these banana nice-cream bites take just a few minutes to whip up and pack the same punch as your favorite ice cream sandwich without all of the sugars and carbs.
We love this recipe because you can customize your crunchy coating with anything you'd like. Here we used dates, nuts and grape nuts, but you can totally throw in your favorite granola, or even hemp hearts and chia seeds or dare I say chocolate chips and cocoa nibs?
- 3 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup grape nuts
- 1/2 cup nuts (we used walnuts and cashews)
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 10 dates, pitted
- 2 tbs. almond milk (or any non dairy milk)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Place frozen bananas, milk, salt and vanilla in a food processor or blender and blend for 5-15 seconds or until creamy and thick.
- Place grape nuts, nuts, chia seeds and dates into a food processor and pulse until crumbly.
- Plop a teaspoon of banana mixture into a bowl of the crumbles and then, using another spoon, cover the entire banana mixture with crumb coating.
- Repeat step three until everything is used up, and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for 2-3 hours.
- Place your baking sheet in the freezer for an hour prior to making these so that it helps the banana nice-cream stay frozen during the preparation stage.
- Make sure the bananas are really frozen, soft bananas are nobody's best friend
Other ideas for healthy frozen snacks to keep you cool this summer:
Frozen Grapes - I eat these things like they are nature's cure all in the summer, especially around the office. They are the perfect amount of sweet, hydrating and refreshing to help curb my chocolate cravings.
Breakfast Pops - Remember these bad boys? We teamed up with ALOHA to share the recipe for my favorite summer breakfast during the week. Protein packed, fruity and portable.
Watermelon Slushie - Ready for the easiest treat in the entire world? Cut up fresh watermelon and then freeze it and then blend the frozen cubes up and stick a straw in it. Seriously that is all you need to do!