The secret to eating well and feeling awesome is (really no secret it all): be prepared. You knew that was coming, didn'tcha. :)
Today I'm going to share my 10 minute method I use to have awesome lunches ready to grab and go all week. This does not including the cooking time since you can set a timer while the quinoa cooks and do something else.
Here's the secret. Cook your quinoa WITh hearty veggies on top. The veggies steam and you are left with a pot of quinoa and veggies that you can store in your fridge for easy lunch assembly all week long.
While the quinoa cooks, combine the dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake to combine. Store on your counter.
To assemble your lunches:
- Pour a bit of the dressing in the bottom of a mason jar
- Add a layer of beans, meat (optional), and nuts
- Add a layer of the quinoa/root veggie mixture
- Add a handful of dark leafy greens
- Top with a healthy fat like avocado chunks (drizzle with lime juice to prevent browning), hard boiled egg, or olives
It takes about 5 minutes to assemble 5 jars that gives you 5 lunches. High five!
Steamed root veggies give us sweet, grounding, long lasting energy especially when paired with protein packed quinoa. But the real star is the turmeric and spice infused dressing, which packs a punch of flavor and anti-inflammatory goodness.
The full recipe is below. Cheers to an awesome week ahead!
1 small - squash or sweet potato
1 - parsnip
1 - carrot
1.5 c. - quinoa
3 1/4 c. - water
1 bunch - kale, collards, or swiss chard
1 c. - chickpeas or organic meat of choice
1/2 c. - chopped walnuts or nut of choice
goat cheese, optional
1/2 c. - olive oil
1/4 c. - apple cider vinegar
1 T. - maple syrup
1 T. - dijon mustard
1 t. - sea salt
1 t. - black pepper
1 t. - cumin
1/2 t. - turmeric
1/4 t. - cardamom
1/4 t. - nutmeg
1/4 t. - cinnamon
pinch - ground cloves
- Peel squash and wash root veggies (carrot, sweet potato, parsnip), and chop into cubes.
- Rinse quinoa under cool water in a mesh strainer, if possible, soak the quinoa overnight.
- Put 1.5 c. quinoa in a pot and cover with 3 1/4 c. water, than place the root veggies on top, in the water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover for 15-20 minutes. The end result will be delicious quinoa with soft root veggies! Simply stir and fluff with a fork to combine.
- While the quinoa cooks, combine olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and all the spices (it's a lot - but trust me, so yummy!) in a mason jar. Shake vigorously to combine. Taste, and adjust spices as needed.
- Finely chop your dark leafy green. Cook meat if adding. Serve quinoa/root veggie mixture in individual bowls with a handful of greens, 1/4 c. chickpeas, walnuts, goat cheese (optional), and a generous dose of dressing. (Use a big bowl). Or assemble into mason jars for lunch (see above instructions). Enjoy!